Soccer Hall of Fame Nominations :
The Soccer Hall of Fame of British Columbia (SHOFBC) recognizes and honours excellence by British Columbians in soccer, whose example has brought great credit to our sport and province.
The Selection Panel of the Soccer Hall of Fame of BC very much welcomes nominations for induction into the Hall. Nominations will be accepted at any time of the year from any person or organization by completing the Nominations Form.
Nominations will be evaluated annually, after the annual deadline on August 1st. Induction will occur at the BC Soccer Awards Ceremony in November.
Inductee Qualifications and Classifications
Members of the Soccer Hall of Fame of BC are in six classifications:
- 1: Players
- 2: Coaches
- 3: Referees
- 4: Builders
- 5: Teams of Distinction
- 6: Organizations of Distinction
All inductees must be British Columbians who:
- Have excelled in soccer,
- Have brought great credit to the sport, and
- Are respected by the soccer community in BC.
Their achievements must be noteworthy on a “best in class” basis.
- Players must have played the game with excellence at the professional, youth or adult amateur level for a minimum of 10 years.
- Builders, Coaches and Referees must have served soccer with distinction over an extended period for a minimum of 10 years in their role.
- The Teams of Distinction award recognises soccer teams that accomplish significant feats in our sport at the international, national or provincial level. The teams can be a British Columbian club or provincial team, or a Canadian national team that includes at least one-third British Columbian players.
- The Organisation of Distinction award recognises British Columbian soccer clubs and organisations that have made a positive impact on the game at the national, provincial or community level for a minimum of 50 years.
For the purposes of the Soccer Hall of Fame of British Columbia, an individual is considered a British Columbian if they have been born in BC, been raised in BC or have become a permanent full-time resident of BC, AND have been a participant in the soccer community in the province for at least five years, as a youth and/or adult.
Those moving to BC must have been a full-time BC resident during at least some of the time of their achievements for which their award is bestowed.
Induction Recognition and Ceremonies
Recognition of Inductees will include:
A Certificate of Hall of Fame Membership; invitation for the Inductee and guest to the BC Soccer Awards Ceremony where inductees will be honoured when many of the primary leaders of soccer in BC are assembled; and inclusion in Hall of Fame communication and web-site.
- Nominees for an individual are eligible for consideration five years after their retirement from the calibre of play/involvement for which they are being honoured.
- Membership in the Hall will only be awarded to recognize truly outstanding achievement, to denote true “best in class”. New nominations will be reviewed relative to other people/bodies in the soccer community to ensure their achievements are comparable to others in the Hall of Fame and more noteworthy than others involved in soccer. There is not a fixed number of inductees each year, but it will be limited. The number of inductees may initially be higher due to “catch-up” considerations.
- The Selection Committee will seek nominations widely, may make nominations itself (before or during its consideration of new inductees), and solicit further information from nominees as required. The Committee is appointed by BC Soccer from the community based on knowledge of the history of soccer in the province and its players and reflect the diversity of soccer in BC. The Committee will function independently of the BC Soccer Board.
- The Hall of Fame recognizes achievements by all in soccer in BC, not limited to BC Soccer registrants.
- In the event of a living nominee, the person or organization must agree to be nominated.
- The Hall recognizes achievements over extended periods of time, typically at least ten years. As such its role is different from and complements BC Soccer’s Annual Awards, which mostly recognize annual achievements.
- The Soccer Hall of Fame of British Columbia operates in concert with the Canada Soccer Hall of Fame. Membership of the national Canada Soccer Hall of Fame gives automatic, immediate membership of the provincial soccer Hall of Fame to British Columbians.
- Very occasionally the Selection Committee can waive or reduce these requirements in the event of achievements at the international level, illness or death of a nominee. Also in rare circumstances, a member could be removed from the hall for bringing the game into disrepute.
- Selection decisions of the Selection Committee will not be subject to appeal, but unsuccessful nominations will be carried over for at least three years, and can be resubmitted for further consideration.
- Note: Canada Soccer notes that individual members of Teams or Organizations of Distinction are not considered members of the Hall of Fame as individuals, a convention BC will follow.
List of Members of Soccer Hall of Fame in British Columbia: November 2020
These 113 inductees include 98 British Columbians who are members of the Canada Soccer Hall of Fame and the 15 members who were BC’s own inductees in November 2020. Among players born since 1960, there are eleven male players and eleven female players.
|Frank Ambler||Ernie Edmunds||Normie McLeod||Jimmy Spencer|
|George Anderson||Neil Ellett||Wes McLeod||Gary Stevens|
|Garry Ayre||Terry Felix||Colin Miller||Gogie Stewart|
|Eddie Bak||Bill Findler||Dale Mitchell||Dickie Stobbart|
|Jim Blundell||Craig Forrest||Domenic Mobilio||David Stothard|
|Bob Bolitho||Doug Greig||Andrea Neil||Mike Sweeney|
|Ian Bridge||Trevor Harvey||Bobby Newbold||Brittany Timko Baxter|
|Silvana Burtini Gerela||Wendy Hawthorne||Pat Onstad||Dave Turner|
|Roy Cairns||Randee Hermus||George Pakos||Carl Valentine|
|John Catliff||Art Hughes||Les (Buzz) Parsons||Gino Vazzoler|
|Tony Chursky||Gordon Ion||Ken Pears||Mark Watson|
|Carlo Corazzin||Glen Johnson||Brian Philley||Jack Whent|
|Jock Coulter||Victor Kodelja||Pat Philley||Fred Whittaker|
|Jack Cowan||Karina LeBlanc||Randy Ragan||Bruce Wilson|
|Errol Crossan||Sam Lenarduzzi||Michelle Ring Passant||Frank Yallop|
|Nick Dasovic||Bob Lenarduzzi||Brian Robinson||Sergio Zanatta|
|Tracy David||Harry Manson||Cathy Ross|
|Paul Dolan||Don Matheson
|Geraldine Donnelly||Joan McEachern||Bobby Smith|
|Jimmie Adam||Harry Christie||Don Petrie|
|John Buchanan||Shelley Howieson||Tony Waiters|
|Robert Allen||Dante Maglio||
|Dan Kulai||Bob Sawtell||
|Alex Hylan||John Richardson|
|John Russell||Bill Stirling|
|Aubrey Sanford||Les Wilson|
|Cliff Avenue United FC||
St. Andrews FC
Vancouver Firefighters FC
|Nanaimo United FC||
Victoria West FC
1928 Westminster Royals
1989 Canada Men's Francophone Games Team
1957 BC All-Stars vs Tottenham Hotspur
1995 Canada Women's World Cup Team
1979 Vancouver Whitecaps
2000 Canada Men's Concacaf Gold Cup
1984 Canada Men's Olympic Team
2004-2014 Surrey United Premier Women
1986 Canada Men's World Cup Team